Saturday, August 7, 2010

‎In Europe you have watches; in the Sahara, we have time.



 This quotation from

Moussa Ag Assarid, a tuareg writer from Mali, made me change my decision on "only starting blogging from day one in Mali" and made me share his interview, 15 days before the DAY ONE, with whoever will read my blog.


The wise simplicity of his words truly touched me and made me realize, how living in a different society gives a different reflection on the values of life and happiness.


... and this last sentence backfired on me. :-)


When I shared these thoughts with my husband, he grinned at me and told me that I shouldn't be perturbed by the idea that there is no hot water in my kitchen in Mali after all, but I should be happy that there IS water in the kitchen... So, here I'm being happy about water... and about the mango tree and about the 3 chickens waiting for us at our new home in Bamako...

P.S. The title of Moussa Ag Assari's book in English is:
"In the desert there are no traffic jams"





Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. best of luck.
    and btw put Timbuktu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu) high on ur list for places to visit, I read in some travelogues that it's special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow, sometimes, I envy them for this:
    "There, nobody dreams of becoming, because everybody already is."
    I hope you will enjoy the time there with the mango tree and the chicken... Actually I have never had a mango tree... :-)

    ReplyDelete