Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 1 out of 1095

A Photograph of the new terminal at Mother Ter...Image via Wikipedia

Day 1 started at 2.30 in the morning and that only because I had to make sure that our 17 years old cats receive their calming pills one hour prior to departure from the apartment.

We also had to make certain that we don’t leave anything behind and that we have all our 6 (yes six) suitcases and 2 backpacks with us. That is all what we need to survive for 2 months, before our removal arrives to Mali. Those of you who know our background could even wonder how we managed with only 6 suitcases.  J

I was quite excited about the rare occasion of flying first class but I had the biggest surprise once ready for boarding the plain at Tirana Airport. Some airlines use tiny plains for flying to Tirana and for the past 4 years that I was living in Albania, I was hoping to fly at least once on one of those. But guess what; never happened until the very last day, today. 

And there it was, a beautiful Embraer 120. I must say it was quite an experience especially holding the cage on my laps during the whole flight to Budapest. Seeing our dilemma, the pilots even proposed to put the cage in the cockpit during the flight (the other option was the only one toilet). My first reaction to that was; forget the cats, I want to sit in the cockpit. Unfortunately, my ‘miau’ was not convincing enough.

Waited 3 hours in the Business Lounge at Budapest Airport, catching up with my dear friends and there we went again direction Paris, this time with a slightly bigger Buing.

I heard people complain about Charles de Gaulle Airport before and now I understand why. It is the world 6th busiest airport in terms of passengers but probably it is in the top 10 of the world must unattractive and unfriendly airports as well. Of course after my first glass of real Champagne, I forgot al about the aesthetics and the service.

I also realised that for the next 3 years, I will really have to get used to the francophone world. It started with requesting our Air France fidelity card. It can be done online but only in French and even if you have the option choosing a language for farther communication by mail (English was my preference) the confirmation arrived, guess what… in French!   

Our cats are attracting much attention (not a positive one though) J. We took 2 cages with us, yet we would have preferred to let them stay together in one cage. Unfortunately for the sake of peace and calm, we did have to separate them. With the bit of energy they had left after the calming pills, they were constantly growling at each other and biting at anything that moved in the cage, including my fingers.  So hear we are, all in our separate little corners…

Half an hour before boarding the atmosphere changed to more of an African one. Men in long dresses and beautiful hats, women in colourful outfits are waiting for boarding… Bamako, here I come!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. It's so exciting! I can't wait for the photos of all the colourful clothes!! Keep blogging Iza... it's such a unique opportunity. C'est vrai!

    ReplyDelete