Saturday, August 28, 2010

First dilemmas and resolutions...

Standing in my kitchen, with a box of very expensive mini tomatoes imported from France in my hands and having one of those ‘Africa dilemmas’… What is safer for the stomach: to wash the tomatoes or not to wash the tomatoes?!  And if I wash the tomatoes, should I add bleach or permanganate to the water. Ultimately the tomatoes were washed in tap water with permanganate.  Will take time before the routine will kick in…


Today, to have an idea about the real estate market and about the quality of the houses in Bamako, I accompanied my husband on a house hunt mission. We have seen 5 big villas with swimming pools (now you must think, wow) when I told him that I would wait for him in the car at the next villa.

At this point, I’m adding some photos because without these it would be impossible to explain my disappointment. 
The finishing in the bathrooms especially were awful
(see the enlarged second and third photo)
These brand new villas in Bamako are considered as the "high-end" but the quality and the finish is extremely disappointing.
....

We also went on a gym hunt today and after visiting the gym facilities in 2 different five star hotels, (and not being able to stop giggling in the car afterwards) I was ready to buy a treadmill myself.

Finally the 3rd gym was more or less acceptable, (with among some obscure exercise machines) its 2 better quality Chinese treadmills did convince us. Unfortunately to become a member on the spot was not possible because we needed to provide a medical attest and 2 pass photos each. A few hours later we already had the pass photos, now we only have to find a doctor to declare us healthy.

Speaking of passport photos… A good friend of mine, who is emigration officer in a Western European country, once told me that the “photoshoped” photo in my passport was totally illegal. I wonder what would she say if she would see my newly developed photo? Not many people would recognise me on it and it was not even “photoshoped”. :-) (Conclusion; developing future photos will definitely not happen locally.)

Momo, our driver
I learned one lesson today; if I want to be the happy person during our 3 years stay in Mali, I will have to focus on the good things and I will have to forget about my western standards. 

I must admit that the local people do make me feel welcome because they are extremely friendly and helpful in any circumstances and taking part in this colourful chaos dos gives me a positive energy. Seeing al those beautifully dressed women walking on the streets, often with a baby on their backs and balancing a big package on their heads, makes me feel a huge respect and admiration. And just a smile from my side almost always will initiate a bigger smile in return… 


Kids asking for food on the streets of Bamako
Obamamania on the streets of Bamako

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment