Monday, December 13, 2010

"Fête des enfants" (part 1)

The Father Christmas (a she actually:-)

About a month ago I was asked to help out at the "Fêtes des enfants", what could be translated as  "Children's feast". As I don't have children and I don't necessarily consider myself as a 'child-friendly' person, would have said no but as it was for my husband's work I accepted the invitation.

So what exactly is the "Fête des enfants"?  Was still not sure to be the right person to help out until I found out that actually it is the
Christmas Party/End of the Year Party (the name depending on the country where we were living before) that is organized ones a year for the employees and their families.

As I'm new in Mali and in Africa all together, I was more listening than giving ideas during meetings. I also learned that the name of this feast is not just the name this time, but it is actually focused only on the children. In other countries, this "End of the Year Party" would have been organized in two parts. The first part in the afternoon would have been for the children, with animation, Father Christmas, the gifts, etc... and the second part in the evening would have been for the "grown up" ones. I used to help out my husband making funny quizzes and we had great music for dancing, but all this was not necessarily this time. 


So when the group told me that they have the perfect job for me, I was right away looking for the door to escape while I was picturing myself dressed up as a clown entertaining the children. I must have looked really horrified because they immediately explained my job-description and had a good lough with my face. 
I was going to be the "official" photographer! Hearing this, all my doubts about attending this "fête" disappeared. Can you imagine?! Taking photos of beautifully dressed African women, men and children without having to negotiate for a permission?! It sounded like heaven to me!
 








1 comment:

  1. Hello Izabella. Always present in the special ceremony, where your camera fixes and brings to us the beautiful picture. Your collection record in years will be wonderful for everyone. Regards to congratulate and Patrick.

    ReplyDelete